"I recently enjoyed presenting to some Waller County residents at the Lone Star Healthy Stream Program. I learned about this opportunity through my county extension agent. Last year, I asked her to let me know if she saw any opportunity for me to give public outreach. I was asked to be one of the presenters at Lone Star Healthy Streams and was told I could pick my own topic. After reviewing what topics the other presenters would be covering that day, I chose to speak about Texas water policy.
When I started creating my presentation, I took into consideration my target audience (their age, knowledge level, and interest in my topic) and my ability to answer questions on what I covered (this is very important to me). Since my target audience was educated adults who were already interested in water, I made my presentation more technical. I utilized two primary sources for creating my presentation were: Lloyd Gosselink Law Firm’s presentations on surface water policy and groundwater policy, and Texas Agriculture Law blog articles on “Texas Water: Basics of Groundwater Law” and “Texas Water: Basics of Surface Water Law.” I also used my notes from the 2017 Leadership Academy.
I received some very positive feedback. For example, a gentleman who owns a water supply company offered for me to come by his office and see his operation. I received a challenging question about exportation of water from a GCD, but luckily I knew the answer.
My word of advice to my fellow ambassadors who may prepare a similar presentation is to keep these three things in mind: your target audience and the best way to approach them; create a good PowerPoint, but remember to focus on what you are saying; and don’t forget to prepare for questions (the best way to do this is to do a little more research than is required to build your presentation)."
Good advice John Philip!
Click the link here to download a copy of his PowerPoint presentation Texas Surface & Groundwater Policy.

No comments:
Post a Comment